Tuesday, May 11, 2010

It's been a hot minute!

So it's been a while since I last blogged, and for that - I apologize.   This weekend was filled with ups and downs, and heartaches, that while they are not my own (and therefor I cannot share what they were, or are) I felt them as if they were.

Saturday was the best day of the weekend for me.   Since we had a very busy day planned for Mother's Day (including visiting both our moms, and both of his grandmothers - as well as other errands we had to run) Mike decided to do whatever I wanted on Saturday.  What I REALLY wanted, was to spend the day on the boat - but since it was raining - we couldn't do that.  Instead, my dear husband indulged me in one of my long time hobbies.  Stalking Local Celebrities. 

Now, before you get all .. vigilante .. I know they deserve their privacy, my argument is - then they shouldn't be on TV and advertise where they're shops are located.   Okay, I know - not a great argument, but one that I will continue to make.

We started out driving around a little, to get my bearings - see, we got rid of my beloved Trailblazer (in an effort to save a LOT of money a month, and because it just sat there - what a waste!) and Mike refuses to drive the mini-van unless he completely has to - I don't know my way around, really - I can't find a lot of things, unless I go there often.  I know, don't judge.

Ending up in Maine, which was our destination anyway, along the way - as small children often do - Emily needed to go potty.  We stopped at a little place along a very long stretch of road (I can't even tell you what road, or town it was!!) it was the first driveway I saw with a sign ...   "Mrs. C's Bakery" (had I thought of it, I would have taken a picture of the sign) after pulling down the driveway, and getting out of the car, we entered only to be greeted with a very large sign that said "Sorry, No Public Restrooms" ... much to my dismay ...

Since we were there, and Mike (in all his diabetic glory) decided he wanted some home made sweets.  Lord Help me!   We got to talking to the owner, a very nice woman named Suzanne, she allowed Emily and I into the back (her basement - of her home) to use a small toilet - as long as we didn't let her new kitten "Patches" out - and didn't tell anyone, it's "our secret" she had whispered to Emily.  Of course, to a 3 year old, this is fantastic!  A Secret?  A place no one else is allowed?  Show Me The Way!    After spending an unnamed amount of money on homemade donuts, maple squares, caramel candies, lollipops, fresh baked bread (which somehow, the dogs ended up getting {Super Cringe} not by our hands mind you) and some fresh baked peanut butter cookies, we thanked our fantastic host and drove away.

Photobucket
(emily and her huge home made chocolate donut - sugar covered, of course)

On to my destination! 
A little back story, if you will ... On the Discovery Channel (one of my favorites) there is a "newer" show, about two brothers, and their research and development company - they do work for the military, and pretty much, that's it.   They are the Howe Brothers.  Mike and Jeff Howe.   (if you've never heard of it - check it out, it's really very interesting - and a LOT of fun) http://www.howeandhowetechnologies.com 
A few months ago, Mike had shown me their shop in Eliot Maine.
Photobucket
(here)
Photobucket
(and here)
Since then, they've out grown that area, and have either purchased, or leased a larger space - a little way away.  Okay quite a large way away.   It's easy for Mike to find these locations, because - they are Eastern Customers :) ha!  A little sneaky, I know - but so worth it for me!

The Howe Brothers, and their crew, have done very well for themselves and are now occupying this space:
Photobucket
(here)
and their sign got a little bigger too
Photobucket
(Hehehehe)

From there, which totally made my day, we traveled throughout that portion of Maine, stopping on the roadside in Cornish to take some spectacular pictures:
Photobucket
Photobucket

After seeing that, we headed south, towards home - ending up in Wolfeboro, at the "Wolfe's Tavern" at the Wolfeboro Inn (OMG you have to go there, if you haven't try it)
Photobucket
(totally stole this from their website, but seriously, go there)

And ended up in Conway/Ossipee NH on Route 16 - where we stopped at Yankee Furniture, to spend money we didn't have - well, really, window shop - for things we'd really like to own.  Some day.

Along that road, Route 16, we saw this old house, that I always say I want to photograph ... I don't know why - but the house speaks to me, every time.

Photobucket
Photobucket

I'd love to get the owner (or banks) permission to take some better pictures, inside - outside - doesn't matter .. these were taken on the fly, sort of - because it said "No Trespassing" in the window.   I may bite the bullet and call the realtors office, and explain that I'd like to add photos of it to my portfolio, without revealing the location (unless they give me permission) ... and see what happens, I'm just not that gutsy yet.  :) I'll get there.

After such a long - and really glorious - day we decided to swing into the nearest grocery store, buy things to make some fantastic grilled cheese sandwiches, on earlier purchased home made bread, and rent some movies from the Red Box inside.  

Arriving home, we decided it was far to late to make an actual meal (we'd eaten "lunch" at nearly 4) we popped some popcorn and hunkered in for some movie time.   We watched the "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" (pretty funny, at times) an hour long disc of "Johnny Test" (Emily chose that one!!) and I fell asleep 40 minutes (if that) into "Inglorious Basterds" (we'd put Emily to bed before that one) all in all, it was the PERFECT Mother's Day gift.  Spending the day, dilly-dallying throughout two states, with my two loves.

Photobucket
A Belated, but still very sincere, Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers!!   (yes, Fur Babies count!!)

1 comment:

Jessi said...

Getting in the car and just riding around is such an adventure; sounds like a great day!! I don't know the "celebrities" that you speak of, and I feel a bit out of the loop, but I blame it on my disdain for television.