Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The funny thing about TV Shows ... part 2

I know I said this was going to be my "next entry", and there have been 12 or so SINCE then, however, I have had a really hard time putting to words the way I'm feeling - or what exactly I am thinking.  So forgive me, I'm going to ramble a touch.

I was watching a few shows late last month, and a few of the lines that I heard, made me stop in my tracks.  One in particular was "The Anyway Friend" ... a little back info for ya ... I am addicted to medical "dramas" .. Grey's Anatomy, Trauma, House, Private Practice, Mercy, ER, all of them ... you name it, I've probably watched it, either on TV --- or through my new addiction, Online TV!! ... I don't know why, I can rarely make it through an episode without either getting extremely angry or inexplicably sad.  However, I can't seem to stop watching them - and this particular story, would be one of the biggest reasons.

A few weeks ago, on a particular episode of Private Practice (in the event you're not familiar, it's the "spin off" show that Kate Walsh landed after a season and a half (rough guesstimate) as Dr. Addison Montgomery-Sheppard - ob/gyn extraodinaire - and the "wife" of Patrick Dempsey aka Dr. Derek Sheppard, aka Dr. McDreamy (or McDreamy) ... anywho, it's a pretty good show.) Sam (played by Taye Diggs himself) has to make a speech at a very large moment in his daughters life, and says some things that made me actually pause the show, consider them - rewind and listen again.

He told the story of his daughter, when she was younger - she used to wear a dress - over and over again.  And how at the end of one day, as he was putting her to bed - she turned to him and said "I love you the best daddy, and when I'm older, I'm going to marry you."  When he paused, and asked her why, she replied "you're my anyway friend, even if you're mad at me or I've done something wrong, you love me anyway."

I can only hope, against all hopes, that someday - Emily calls me her anyway friend.  I know I - personally - have a few "anyway" friends.   Those who love me "anyway" .. no matter what I do, or say, or how long it's been - they love me.  And I love them.  No matter what.    

I have also decided - rather recently (like yesterday) - that I am no longer going to "try" the way I used to with other certain "friends".  It is unfair that I am the one doing all the work, making all the plans, being the one to call, and always being the one left behind.  Forgotten, bailed on, neglected.  I am better than that.  I am smarter than that - I deserve Better Than That. And I know it.

So here's to you - my Anyway Friends ... I thank you all, from the very bottom of my heart.  For being there ... always, and forever ... no matter the miles, the times, or the stresses we've faced.

No comments: