Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Santa's Sugar Cookies

After we were finished decorating the tree, before we sat down to watch "Home Alone" Emily and I made sugar cookies.  Sort of a Test Run for Santa.

We bought Emily a book, plate and recipe set - that's where I got the recipe.

Now, again, if you know me at all - and I'm fairly certain by now, you all do - you know I cannot cook.  I cannot cook unless it's something I'm just following the instructions on how to heat up.  (with the exception of the amazing pot roast I made in the crock pot that one time --- thank you Kizzy) .. These Sugar Cookies, are from scratch.  No really.

Measuring, mixing, kneading, letting it rest, rolling out the dough - using cookie cutters to make cute shapes - from scratch.
And they weren't only EDIBLE, but they were DELICIOUS.

Because I was a little nervous, I didn't decorate them (pictures will be up tomorrow, I forgot - in my excitement - to take them Sunday) ok I lied, they're up today.

Photobucket

Without Further Pause ...

Santa's Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (or 1 stick) butter - softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk

Instructions:

Sift 1 1/2 cups of flour with baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
In a seperate bowl, use a wooden spoon to cream butter until soft.
Then, beat sugar, egg, vanilla and milk into butter with a whisk.
Stir flour mixture into the mix.  Add remaining flour (1/2 cup) a little at a time until the dough is stiff enough to roll out.  (This is VERY important, I misread this part and added the entire 1/2 cup at the same time --- whoops!!)
Refrigerate dough until well chilled - at least 2 hours.  (I had to let mine warm up a little after the 2 hours was up .. I contribute that to the flour goof)
When the dough has been chilled, and you're ready to roll it out - preheat your oven to 375.

Place dough on a lightly floured board, or smooth surface (I used my counter, and a bottle of unopened wine {no really we don't have a rolling pin or a big enough board} guess what Amy's asking Santa Mikey for this year!)  With rolling pin - or bottle of wine - roll dough into 1/2 inch thickness.  Using cookie cutters, cut your shapes.

Please on ungreased baking sheet - decorate (NOT with Frosting - but with sugar if you choose) Bake 8-10 minutes.

Using oven mitts (duh) remove the sheets from the oven, allow them to cool for a few minutes before removing.

Remove cookies from the baking sheets and place on cooling rack.  Allow cookies to cook for 5 minutes.


(IF YOU CHOOSE --- once cookies are cool to the touch, you may add frosting.)

Store Cookies in a tightly sealed container - makes 25-30 cookies

(we ended up with 27 1/2 - you know that little left over piece too small for the cookie cutters, it was a cute little ornament when we were done)

Enjoy, and don't forget to tell me how they came out!

2 comments:

Jessi said...

soooooo going to make these :)

Amy said...

;) have them with your cocoa!!