Wednesday, December 9, 2009

... * Let It Snow * Let It Snow * Let It Snow * ...

In Honor of this Fabulous weather we're having 'round these parts ... I've decided to post my favorite "Christmas Song" ... and a little story about why I like it.

For as long as I can remember, I've loved Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra .. The Rat Pack .. Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James and all music of that era.  I thank my Grammy for that.  When I was a kid, my mom and sisters and I would dance around the house and sing the "Oldies" .. Our favorite, was "Poetry in Motion", by Johnny Tillotson - and in her Honor, at our reception, Mike and I had the DJ Play it for us girls.   My dad and I even danced to Frank Sinatra, "The Way You Look Tonight" (Hello Julia Roberts, thank you for lending me your song), and our final dance of the day was "At Last" as done by Etta James ... Classic.

Music is a very important part of my life, and for every "Life Event" ... good or bad ... I can remember a song, or "album" or artist, that stands out to me for that moment.   And there have been times, when I'm in the car, or listening to the radio here at work, and for whatever reason, I'm unhappy, or sad, or angry - and somehow, that one song plays, or someone mentions it, it's on hold music while I'm holding for my contact on the phone, or I'm minding my business and one of the guys walks by whistling the tune - That One Song.  It snaps you out of it.   Gives you reason to pause, if only for the moment.

This time of year, I have 2 songs that do that for more.  "Let it Snow" ... the always wonderful Dean Martin rendition and "White Christmas" ... the "best selling single of all time" by Bing Crosby ... when you hear either of these songs, you can't help but sing along, and "bop to the beat" (as it were.)

It's snowing here, as in borderline blizzard snowing (just as it is across much of the country) - though we can't complain, it is December 8th, and this is the first SIGNIFICANT snow fall we've had ... it still makes for a rough drive, if you have to go anywhere.   (Be Safe, please, if you do) ... so since it's snowing all pretty like, I've been listening to my "snow songs" (don't ask) and was inspired to write this up.

I don't have any pictures from this storm (yet - you know I will) so I'll use a couple from Sunday morning, before our "Christmas Tree Adventure with Santa" (as Emi has titled it -- though when she says it it sounds more like "Kissmust Tree venture wiff Sanna" ahhh 2 year olds) ... and of course, a couple videos I've found ...

I hope it puts some Christmas Spirit in your day.

Photobucket

Photobucket








No comments: