Thursday, January 14, 2010

Other People's Love Letters.

I've been reading a ton lately, huh, what's new -- and I came across a few reading suggestions.
Among them was "Other People's Love Letters" ... I have to tell you -- it is one of the best books I've ever read.  Ever.  And I've read a lot - like A LOT - of books.   It's not a "story" like most books are, but there is definitely a story encompassed in the pages.

One of my favorites, is from 1969, during the Vietnam War.  A man sends a letter to his wife, celebrating the birth of their first baby.  A son.  It is so intimate, and revealing, to get a glimpse into the mindset of a man who is serving in what was one of the defining wars of our country's history - with regards to the birth of his first born child.  My heart breaks for those lost moments, that were captured on paper.  That someone had the foresight to save.

And the bravery, honor and love to share.

Some of them are typical high school type letters, some of them are shy, and broaching subjects that seem taboo, or scary.  Some of them are searching for acceptance, and understanding.  But mostly, they're all brave.  Every one of them, brave.   Honest.  Heart wrenching.  Brave.

The letters that were published show a side of people they usually reserve for their loved ones, best friends, significant others ... it's incredibly revealing to read the innermost, intimate, thoughts of a person you've never met.  Sort of like some one reading a blog written by some one you've never met, or even, someone you know, someone who inspires you with their words.

Reading that book, inspired me.  It's been a long time since I've been this inspired by a book.  Of course, inspiration hits in different ways.  This particular inspiration is going to take me a small while to work out, when it's finished?  I hope it inspires you, my faithful blog readers, in any way possible.

If you haven't read this book, I recommend it.  Highly.  Repeatedly.  Inspired-ly (Is that a word? LOL)


Photobucket

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Going to B&N today. It sounds amazing. Thanks for the suggestion. I, too, devour books.

Have you read the Christmas List yet? I think it would be right up your alley.

Amy said...

I read that one in like - 4 hours - OMG so good, I'll be looking for his other books when I get to the store next.

Thanks for that suggestion, you're right, it is right up my alley!